Grassroots In Vermont

A group of people who see real problems with our Republic. So we figure why not use those problems as opportunities to make this "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" stuff available to more people than ever before.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

My Political Prostitution

Confessions of a Born Again Political Prostitute

I voted for anybody but Bush. Anybody but Bush? There’s a group of people who will take anybody. They’re called prostitutes.

And then they lost anyway. I let these people pimp me out and they lost anyway.

Not again. If they can’t come up with someone who is worth my vote, I’ll vote my conscience. I’ll find a Nader or a David Cobb or a Michael Badnarik to support. Mind you, I’m a tad cynical after watching the national leadership of the Democratic Party walk meekly away from Florida in 2000 and fall in line with the systematic degradation of our Civil Rights after 9/11/01 and and and…

I think that if Kerry had won, tens of thousands of people on the Left would have sighed in relief and gone back home. And it would have continued. Business as usual (Nice car you got there sugar. What you looking for? A little Greek? Some French? Iraqi? What’s that? You want me to dress like a soldier? Oh sure sure. I got what you want baby.)

Now I’m off the streeet and in people’s homes, meeting with friends, coworkers, neighbors. I’m helping people who have never been politically active in their adult lives get educated and organized. When someone says to me “Yeah, but what can we do….” I have actual suggestions. Someone said to me recently “I was just sitting there in despair until you started talking about organizing.” I still smile (but don’t blush, we ex prostitutes don’t do that) when I think of such an honor. Far better than keeping company with people who only say to me, “How much?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home